Sheikh Azhar Nasser explores Sunni counter arguments to the Shia claim that the Verse of Purification (Quran 33:33)
The discussion covers:
- Claims that the context of the verse being different
- Claims that the verses include all of Bani Hashim
- Claims that the verse doesn't prove infallibility
The Q&A also answers:
- Why the Imams sometimes gave their children the same names as prominent Sunni's like Aisha and Uthman
Ans: The names didn't necessarily imply endorsement back then, though Imam Ali specificlly said he named his son after a different Uthman)
- Why didn't the Quran explicitly state who the Ahlul Bayt were?
Ans: This was one of the ways Allah preserved the Quran without affecting free will. Otherwise the enemies of those people would have fought harder to change the Quran.
Lecture notes available at http://www.why-quran.org/?p=560.
Subscribe at http://www.why-quran.org/subscribe to watch the lectures live and participate in the Q&A at the end of each class.
Video recording of this lecture + Q&A available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4J8QU_piqg&list=PLpkB0iwLgfTat-Pgh4W3WFmupPamiC9UT.