Continuing the identification of who is meant by the holy Ahl al-Bayt, Sheikh Azhar Nasser uses hadiths from Sunni sources that are accepted by both Shias and Sunnis to compare Shia and Sunni viewpoints.
- (Jame-ut-Tirmidi) Hadith al Kisa - the hadith of the cloak
- (Sahih Muslim) Zahid ibn Akram's explanation of why the wives are not part of the Ahlul Bayt
- (Al Mustadrak ala al-Sahihayn) The prophet going to Fatima's door every day for months after it was revealed, repeating the Verse of Purity saying "Oh Ahl al-Bayt..."
- (Sahih Muslim) Hadith of Mubahila, where the Christians of Najran rejected the Prophet's message and were challenged to a mubahalah. Here the term "Ahl al-Bayt" was used for the holy five exclusively
- (Sahih al-Tirmidhi) Hadith Al-Thaqalayn, where the prophet said "I'm leaving for you that which if you hold onto you shall never devate., one is greater than the other: The Book of God-an extended rope between the Heavens and the Earth; and my progeny, my Ahl al-Bayt"
- The fact that the wives never used the Verse of Purification to show their superiority (despite sometimes using other claims to show their superiority)
Lecture notes available at http://www.why-quran.org/?p=556.
Subscribe at http://www.why-quran.org/subscribe to watch the lectures live and participate in the Q&A at the end of each class.
Video recording of this lecture + Q&A available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cSoTy0ZlU&list=PLpkB0iwLgfTat-Pgh4W3WFmupPamiC9UT.