Who does the Quran refer to when it says Ahlul Bayt? Sheikh Azhar Nasser compares Sunni and Shia viewpoints based on hadit from Sunni sources.
The three main perspectives are:
- It includes the Prophet's wives, Bani Hashim, and the Holy Five (Ali, Fatima, Hassan, Hussain, and Prophet Muhammad)
- It includes just Bani Hashim and the Holy Five
- It includes just the Holy Five (shia perspective)
Sheikh Azhar discusses arguments for and against the verse of Purity (Quran 33:33) applying the wives as well as the Holy Five, looking at the verse in context with the surrounding verses.
The discussion covers:
- Why are wives referenced before and after this verse?
- Are wives actually being praised?
- Changes in pronouns
- Meaning of "warding off filth"
- Context changing from "Your houses" to "The house"
Lecture notes available at http://www.why-quran.org/?p=546.
Subscribe at http://www.why-quran.org/subscribe to watch the lectures live and participate in the Q&A at the end of each class.
Video recording of this lecture + Q&A available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUEGYtgQxOs&list=PLpkB0iwLgfTat-Pgh4W3WFmupPamiC9UT.